Ⅰ. Phonetics (10 Points)
In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1.A. captain B. various C. Atlantic D. metallic
2.A. beach B. beat C. beast D. great
3.A. heat B. health C. already D. pleasant
4.A. waste B. paste C. voyage D. snake
5.A. fortune B. public C. Russia D. suffer
6.A. familiar B. family C. blanket D. factory
7.A. thrown B. follow C. brown D. shown
8.A. nineteenth B. ninth C. southern D. fifth
9.A. pull B. pollute C. true D. truth
10.A. correct B. discover C. comfort D. come
Ⅱ. Vocabulary and Structure (50 points)
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. The old man found _______ on the floor.
A. lying dead B. lying death C. laying dead D. laying death
12. Grandma has no water, please ________ some for her.
A. take B. carry C. fetch D. bring
13. The shoes he wore made his _______ look funny.
A. feet B. foots C. hand D. foot
14. This restaurant always _______ delicious dishes.
A. gives B. offers C. have D. serves
15. There is _______ sugar. You needn’t go to buy any.
A. plenty of B. a large number of C. a great many D. plenty
16. Hardly _______ sat down when the telephone rang.
A. did I B. had I C. I D. have I
17. The ______ candle is still _______.
A. lit…burned B. lighted…burning C. lit…burning D. lighted…burned
18. _______ come into leaf or bloom is obviously a sign of spring.
A. Trees B. The trees C. That trees D. What trees
19. _______ in the open air, wet clothes can get dry easily.
A. Hang B. Hanged C. Hung D. To hang
20. He doesn’t spend much time _______ his homework.
A. in B. with C. on D. for
21.―What do you think of it?
―It just happened _______ we had expected.
A. that B. which C. it D. as
22. Jane, what do you think of Mr. Green?
As ______ teacher, he ought to set _______ good example to the pupils.
A. the…a B. a…a C. a…the D. / …the
23. They found a _______ old woman ________ on the ground when the door was broken open.
A. dying…lying B. dead…lied C. death…laying D. died…lain
24. _______, the children went to the park.
A. It was a fine day B. Being a fine day
C. It being a fine day D. Because the fine day
25. ________ in the strange city, poor Bill fell to ________.
A. Lost…crying B. Lost…cry
C. Having been lost…crying D. To lese…cry
26. Don’t get off the bus until it ________.
A. has stopped B. stopped C. will stop D. shall stop
27. I took _______ tea than you.
A. less B. few C. fewer D. little
28. The squirrel was lucky that it just missed _______.
A. catching B. to be caught C. being caught D. to catch
29. I must be off now. It’s time I _______ to school.
A. go B. went C. will go D. am going
30. To serve the people means giving as _______ and ask for as _______ as possible.
A. much…little B. much…few C. many…a little D. more…less