Ⅰ. Phonetics (10 points)
In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1.A. caused B. wished C. guessed D. dressed
2.A. tea B. read (原形) C. real D. steal
3.A. through B. famous C. route D. wounded
4.A. native B. active C. national D. narrow
5.A. like B. limit C. knife D. inside
6.A. ear B. early C. earth D. earn
7.A. thank B. another C. smooth D. clothes
8.A. afternoon B. classroom C. roommate D. boot
9.A. houses B. horses C. rises D. exercises
10.A. expression B. discussion C. vision D. permission
Ⅱ. Vocabulary and Structure (40 points)
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. ______ riding to school, Mary usually goes to school on foot.
A. Without B. Rather than C. Instead of D. Inspite of
12. The teacher will tell us _______ to have the exam next Monday.
A. if B. that C. if not D. whether
13. In order to grow well, the Blue Sprace, like other pine trees, ______ a temperate climate.
A. require B. requires C. is required D. that requires
14. It took them more than ten years to ______ the defensive works.
A. build in B. build into C. build on D. build up
15. I haven’t decided which seat ________.
A. to sit B. is to sit C. to sit on D. is for sitting
16. Susan wants to know whether the measures have been agreed _______.
A. to B. with C. over D. on
17. All _______ is a continuous supply of the basic necessities of life.
A. what is needed B. for our needs C. the thing needed D. that is needed
18. His hard work _______ when he won the prize.
A. paid off B. showed off C. rang off D. kept off
19. The fire _______ two persons’ death as well as the damage of all the store’s property.
A. is resulted in B. is resulted from C. resulted in D. resulted from
20. On Sundays I prefer _______ at home to _______ out.
A. to stay…go B. stay…going C. staying…going D. staying…go
21. Generally, the thicker a mammal’s (哺乳動物) skin is, the less hair ______.
A. that has it B. that it has C. has it D. it has
22. My father ______ an invitation to a dinner party, but he _______ it.
A. accepted…received B. received…accepted
C. accepted…didn’t receive D. received…didn’t accept
23. _______ their homework, the children went for a walk.
A. When they were doing B. After they have done
C. Having done D. They had done
24. My parents never let me _______ alone.
A. to travel B. to travelling C. travelling D. travel
25. Hardly _______ the classroom when the class began.
A. had he entered B. he had entered C. he entered D. he was entered
26. We all enjoy working _______ him because he is a kind leader.
A. along B. in C. under D. on
27. She is _______to refuse, so I have to give in.
A. a too kind girl B. too a kind girl
C. too kind a girl D. a gird kind too
28. He couldn’t use his own car because it ________ then.
A. was being repaired B. was repairing
C. is repairing D. has been repaired
29. _______ go to the Great Wall for a visit?
A. Why don’t B. How about C. Will we D. Why not
30. With the guide ______ the way, we set out on foot into the night dark.
A. lead B. leading C. led D. to lead