1. An investigation was made into the accident, _______ fifty people were killed.
A) for that B) where C) when D) in which
2. ________ you are familiar with the author’s ideas, try reading all the sections as quickly as you possibly can.
A) As long as B) Ever since C) So that D) Now that
3. The time is not far away ________ modern communications will become widespread in China’s vast countryside.
A) when B) as C) until D) before
4. The students will put off the outing until next week, ________ they won’t be so busy.
A) when B) as C) since D) while
5. I have not found my book yet; in fact, I am not sure ________ I could have done with it.
A) whether B) why C) what D) when
6. ________ you decide to take up, you should try to make it a success.
A) Whatever B) Unless C) Whenever D) If only
7. Most parents encourage their children to take an active part in social events, ________ those events do not interfere with their studies.
A) lest B) though C) unless D) provided
8. What ______ would happen if the director knew you felt that way?
A) do you suppose B) you suppose C) will you suppose D) you would suppose
9. No sooner had we reached the top of the hill ________ we all sat down to rest.
A) when B) then C) than D) until
10. Evidence came up ________ specific speech sounds are recognized by babies as young as 6 months old.
A) what B) which C) that D) whose
11. The situation today is obviously quite different from ________ it was only 50 years ago.
A) what B) which C) when D) such
12. Most doctors recognize that medicine is ________.
A) an art as much it is a science B) as much an art as it is a science
C) as an art as much it is science D) much an art as it is a science
13. ________ the punishment was unjust, Helen accepted it without complaint.
A) However B) So long as C) Even though D) Since
14. The time has come ________ we can make extensive use of nuclear energy.
A) when B) while C) as D) since
15. Some metals are better conductors of electricity than others , _____ means that the former have atom that contain more free electron than the latter.
A) that B) this C) which D) it
16. There is hardly an environment on earth ________ some species of animal or other has not adapted to an environment successfully.
A) to which B) wherever C) so that D) as to
17. ________ we have finished the course, we shall start doing more revision work.
A) For now B) Now that C) Ever since D) By now
18. The goals for _______ he had fought all his life no longer seemed important to him.
A) after which B) for which C) with which D) at which
19. ________she first heard of the man who was referred to as a specialist from Stephen.
A) That was from Stephen B) It was Stephen whom
C) It was from Stephen that D) It was Stephen that
20. All ________ is a continuous supply of the basic necessities of life.
A) what is needed B) for our needs C) the thing needed D) that is needed
21. It wasn’t such a good dinner ________ she had promised us.
A) that B) which C) as D) what
22. They decided to chase the cow away ________ it did more damage.
A) unless B) until C) before D) although
23. ________ that the trade between the two countries reached its highest point.
A) During the 1960’s B) It was in the 1960’s C) That it was in the 1960’s D) It was the 1960’s
24. ________ he works hard, I don’t mind when he finishes the experiment.
A) As soon as B) As well as C) So far as D) So long as
25. ________ that my head had cleared, my brain was also beginning to work much better.
A) For B) Now C) Since D) Despite