1. ______ receiving financial support from family, community or the government is allowed, it is never admired.
A) As B) Once C) Although D) Lest
2. Many patients insist on having watches with them in hospital, ________ they have no schedules to keep.
A) even though B) for C) as if D) since
3. _____ I admire David as a poet, I do not like him as a man.
A) Much as B) Only if C) If only D) As much
4. A good many proposals were raised by the delegates, ________ was to be expected.
A) that B) what C) so D) as
5. She had a tense expression on her face, ________ she were expecting trouble.
A) even though B) as though C) even as D) now that
6. In India more than one hundred languages are spoken, ______ which only fourteen are recognized as official.
A) of B) in C) with D) within
7. Small as it is, the ant is as much a creature as ________ all other animals on earth.
A) are B) do C) is D) have
8. Don’t let the child play with scissors ________ he cuts himself.
A) in case B) so that C) now that D) only if
9. ________ much is known about what occurs during sleep, the precise function of sleep and its different stages remains largely in the realm of assumption.
A) Because B) For C) Since D) While
10. They always give the vacant seats to ________ comes first.
A) whoever B) whomever C) who D) whom
11. The residents, ________ had been damaged by the fire, were given help by the Red Cross.
A) all of their homes B) all their homes
C) whose all homes D) all of whose homes
12. These people once had fame and fortune; now ________ is left to them is utter poverty.
A) all that B) all what C) all which D) that all
13. How is it ________ your roommate’s request and yours are identical?
A) if B) so C) what D) that
14. There was such a long line at the exhibition ________ we had to wait for about half an hour.
A) as B) that C) so D) hence
15. Government reports, examination compositions, legal documents and most business letters are the main situations ________ formal language is used.
A) in which B) on which C) in that D) at what
16. We hadn’t met for 20 years, but I recognized her ________ I saw her.
A) for the moment B) the moment when C) at the moment when D) the moment
17. Rod is determined to get a seat for the concert ________ it means standing in a queue all night.
A) provided B) whatever C) even if D) as if
18. The fire was finally brought under control, but not ________ extensive damage had been caused.
A) after B) before C) since D) as
19. I was halfway back to the cottage where my mother lived ________ Susan caught up with me.
A) when B) while C) until D) though
20. Agriculture was a step in human progress ________ which subsequently there was not anything comparable until our own machine age.
A) in B) for C) to D) from
21. He will surely finished the job on time ________ he’s left to do it in his own way.
A) in that B) so long as C) in case D) as far as
22. ________ difficulties we may come across, we’ll help one another to overcome them.
A) Wherever B) Whatever C) However D) Whenever
23. I’d rather have a room of my own, however small it is, than ________ a room with someone else.
A) share B) to share C) sharing D) to have shared
24. The hours ________ the children spend in their one-way relationship with television people undoubtedly affect their relationships with real-life people.
A) in which B) on which C) when D) that
25. The basic features of the communication process are identified in one question: Who says ________ through what channel to whom?
A) how B) when C) what D) such