I Phonetics (5 points)
Directions: In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letters or letter combinations marked A, B, C, and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer sheet.
1. A. surprised B. pleased C. refused D. increased
2. A. typical B. cycle C. apply D. imply
3. A. brought B. thought C. fought D. doubt
4. A. communist B. observe C. occupy D. October
5. A. cloudy B. captain C. certain D. cotton
II Vocabulary and Structure (15 points)
Directions: There are 15 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the answer sheet.
6. Children should be taught how to get alone with ___________.
A. another B. other C. others D. any other
7. Water is __________ hydrogen and oxygen.
A. made up B. made up of C. made by D. making by
8. ________cave that George has discovered in his lifetime is near the Alps.
A. The hundredth B. The hundred C. Hundredth D. A hundred
9. It’s too late. How I wish I ___________the measures Mr. Brown suggested.
A. adopted B. had adopted C. should adopt D. adopt
10. Some of the guests _________ to the party were from other cities.
A. to invite B. invited C. being invited
D. had been invited
11. The man showed the boy _______he should play the piano.
A. what B. when C. which D. how
12. Whenever seeing the scene, people will be reminded of the September 11th _________ and all others related to it.
A. accident B. incident C. event D. case
13. ___________that your son is well again, you no longer have anything to worry about.
A. When B. After C. Before D. Now
14. He is _______________that I’d like to introduce him to you.
A. such noble person B. so noble person
C. such a noble person D. so a noble person
15. When a fire ________at the National Exhibition in London, at least ten priceless paintings were completely destroyed.
A. broke off B. broke out C. broke down D. broke up
16. The road is so bad that the people there can’t drive cars out of the valley, ___________.
A. so can they ride bikes B. nor they can ride bikes
C. nor can they ride bikes D. neither they can ride bikes
17. What we must do now ________ make a careful investigation on the circumstances.
A. are B. is C. is to D. were to
18. This restaurant always ________delicious dishes.
A. gives B. offers C. have D. serves
19. He _______Chinese history and knows a lot about it.
A. is strict with B. is interested in
C. is satisfied with D. is busying doing
20. Tom: Tomorrow is my birthday.
Jane: Is that so? _______.
Tom: Thank you.
A. Oh, I really don’t know. B. I’m so glad.
C. What gifts do you want? D. Many happy returns of the day!